Do you need to start working towards renewing your NY real estate license?
As your license expiration date is quickly approaching, NOW is the best time to fulfill your continuing education requirements.
To make things less hassle for you, we’re going to list the best real estate continuing education in New York. We’ll review each one to see which will suit YOU most.
And, rest assured that all the providers we’ll mention here are approved, legit, and of the best quality.
So let’s get reviewing!
The Best Online Real Estate Continuing Education Providers in New York
Having to study 22.5 hours of real estate CE is no joke. This is especially true if you’ve got a lot on your hands.
Thankfully, you can now fulfill your CE requirements online!
And here are the best online real estate CE providers in New York:
Let’s get into the details of each provider.
What we like:
- All courses are online and can be accessed whenever you want.
- Courses are easy to follow.
- If you get quiz answers wrong, you will be informed of your mistake so you can review and remember it.
- They use slides, graphics, and videos to make lessons easy to understand.
Mckisock is one of the leading names when it comes to real estate CE in the country.
In New York, you can select from 3 packages, each one offering features that will fit your needs as a real estate agent.
NY McKissock CE PLUS Membership is an all-in package that includes all the CE courses you need to renew your license as well as access to:
- Real estate coaching tools
- Pro-Series webinar on-demand library
- How-to videos
- 100+ job aids (worksheets, scripts, and checklists)
- Product and service discounts
- Knowledgeable education specialists
For real estate agents who are not interested in other materials aside from the required CE courses, you can go for the 2 other packages.
The 22.5-Hour Renewal Package With NAR Ethics or the 22.5-Hour First Time Renewal Package With NAR Ethics.
Both packages include:
- New York Ethical Business Practices and Legal Matters
- New York Fair Housing & Agency Law
- NAR: May the Code Be With You
- Educating Homebuyers
- JMan’s Tech Tools
The First Time Renewal Package also comes with New York New Salesperson Agency Law and Americans with Disabilities Act ADA courses.
Meanwhile, the other package comes with Educating Sellers and Performing Quality BPOs courses.
All in all, you get everything you need with McKissock.
What we like:
- Courses come in different learning formats.
- The course materials are thorough and organized.
- The course plan is easy to follow.
- The platform is easy to use.
- The use of mini-tests at the end of each unit helps you exercise your knowledge.
- It uses written sources, videos, and other visual presentations to make the course engaging.
Kaplan Real Estate Education offers a New York Complete CE package that includes:
- 3 credit hours of Fair Housing in New York
- 3 credit hours of New York Agency
- 16.5 credit hours of real estate-related topics that include personal safety, safe advertising, legal issues, and misrepresentation
Kaplan also offers on-demand courses for those who want to learn more about the industry. Some of these on-demand courses include:
- Solving downpayment dilemma
- How to avoid client catastrophe
- How to avoid deceptive practices
- Introduction to real estate investments
- How water affects property
- Buying within your budget
So with Kaplan, you not only get the required CE courses, but you can also expand your knowledge to succeed in the industry.
What we like:
- Courses are easy to understand and navigate.
- You control when and where you study.
- They use written and video learning materials.
- Courses are affordable.
- Course lengths, in terms of hours, are accurate.
If you go with Empire Learning, you can choose from 4 packages. The first package includes state-required courses on:
- Healthy Homes
- Code of Ethics
- Property Management Fundamentals
- NY Recent Legal Updates and Agency Law
- Fair Housing
Meanwhile, the other packages come with additional topics such as Digital Marketing, Preventing Identity Theft, Real Estate Investing: Recognizing Opportunities, and/or Distressed Properties.
There’s even a package that allows you to customize the topics to include state-required credits as well as electives or other topics you are interested in.
And, as we mentioned, the courses are engaging with both written and video materials. Plus, it is SUPER affordable.
So if you don’t want to break the bank, then you might want to consider this CE provider.
What we like:
- The course is certified by ARELLO (Association of Real Estate License Law Officials) and IDECC (International Distance Education Certification Center).
- You have the option to get a course package or choose individual courses.
- The course is fully online and can be done whenever you’re available.
- There are no hidden charges.
MBitionToLearn offers various options for real estate agents who need to renew their licenses.
The New York 22.5-Hour Residential CE Package for First Renewal is for agents who will be renewing their license for the first time. This package includes:
- ADA and Fair Housing
- Ethics in Real Estate
- New York License Law and Agency
- New York Recent Legal Matters
- Concepts in Appraising Green Residential Buildings
- Safety First: Crime Prevention and Self-Defense for Real Estate Pros
- Anti-Discrimination Laws
- Evolving Real Estate Finance Laws
Meanwhile, for non-first-time renewers, the New York 22.5-Hour Residential CE Package for Second and Subsequent Renewals is a package that will suit their needs.
Most of the courses in this package are similar to the first-time renewal course, but it also includes:
- New York Agency
- Leading and Communicating Effectively
- Minimizing Risk with Effective Practices
Both packages meet the Fair Housing, Ethics, Law of Agency, and Recent Legal Matters requirements.
If you want to learn more or brush up on other courses, MBitionToLearn offers individual courses, as well as books you can use to study on your own.
Future Changes in CE Requirements in New York
Because the real estate market and community continue to evolve, the state of New York will be implementing changes in its course requirements for real estate salespeople who want to renew their license in the state.
By September 21, 2022, the 22.5 hours of real estate CE must include at least:
- 2 hours of cultural competency
- 2 hours on the subject of implicit bias
- 2 and a half hours on the subject of ethical business practices
- 1 hour of recent legal matters
- 3 hours of instruction pertaining to fair housing and/or discrimination in the sale or rental of real property or an interest in real property
- 1 hour of instruction pertaining to the law of agency except in the case of the initial two-year licensing term for real estate salespersons
- 2 hours of agency-related instruction that must be completed within the two-year period immediately preceding a renewal.
Got some questions? Check out our answers to the most frequently asked questions below.
What are the requirements to renew a real estate license in New York?
What are the requirements for renewing your real estate license in New York?
Finish 22.5 hours of continuing education credit that consists of, but is not limited to:
- 3 hours of fair housing and diversity
- 1 hour of agency
- 2 and a half hours of ethical business practices including NAR Code of Ethics training
- 1-hour legal matters which include statutes, laws, regulations, rules, codes, DOS opinions and decisions, and court decisions
- 15 hours of elective courses
These courses should be completed every 2 years, so you can renew your license.
And, since July 1, 2021, there are no more exemptions to CE credit-earning requirements.
When to renew your NY real estate license?
You need to renew your license every 2 years. Specifically, by the exact date written on your license.
How long do you have to complete your real estate CE requirements in New York?
Though the courses are marketed as 22.5 hours, it may take some people longer to finish them because they can only study during their free time. Don’t worry, though as most providers give you 6 months to finish the CE courses.
However, make sure that you finish it before your license expires!
What happens after taking the required real estate CE courses in New York?
After taking and completing your CE course in state-approved learning hubs, you will either get a certificate of completion which you can attach to your license renewal form or the credits earned will be automatically reported to the New York Department of State.
The learning never stops for real estate agents.
When it’s time to renew your real estate license, you need to make sure to complete 22.5 hours of real estate continuing education from an approved provider.
But don’t fret.
We already listed the best real estate continuing education in New York for YOU. And yes, all these providers are state-approved and offer some of the best CE courses out there.
Plus, you can complete them from the comfort of your own home!
So what are you waiting for?
Select a provider today and get started!