Becoming a real estate agent is something that could change your life for the better – in many different ways. A real estate agent will earn above-average salaries in most cases, and since their overall pay is based largely on commission a good one can earn far above that. Along with this, the job offers a sense of satisfaction that others may not provide, along with some freedoms and a sense of pride. In short, it makes sense to consider earning your West Virginia real estate license.
However, the process of earning your West Virginia real estate license is one that can take time and effort. West Virginia has basic requirements for its real estate agents – requirements that ensure that all realtors follow ethical and legal principles while working. Taking a closer look at how to earn your license – and how to earn your West Virginia real estate license online – is well worth doing.
Best Online Real Estate Schools For 2021
Requirements For Earning A West Virginia Real Estate License
In order to be a real estate agent, you have to meet numerous requirements. Most of these are focused on education, and the end goal is to protect the general public from unqualified brokers and sellers.
There are a few requirements that stand out, and if you’re working towards getting your West Virginia real estate license you’ll want to be aware of the following:
- You’ll have to be 18 years old or older in order to earn your license.
- You must possess a high school diploma or GED.
- You’ll have to complete six credit hours – 90 clock hours – of training in an approved real estate license course. You’ll have to complete that education within a five-year period prior to applying for your West Virginia real estate license.
- Upon completion of the educational courses, you must sit for and pass the state real estate exams, which are given six times a year.
- If you pass the exam, you can then pay the fee and receive your West Virginia real estate license. The fee is $50 for a basic salesperson license.
Another thing to note is that those who are from another state will still have to meet the basic requirements above. However, the state often awards credit to those who have completed the educational requirements if they did so elsewhere.
What Is Covered During The Education?
Those 90 hours of education during the pre-licensing courses can cover a lot of different things. Essentially, they prepare you for the exam by giving you the full range of knowledge and skills needed to be an effective real estate agent. Some examples of what will be covered include:
- Fair housing
- Advertising rules
- Agency contracts
- Trust funds
- Property management
- And more
The specifics of your class may vary slightly in terms of structure, but the above points and numerous others will always be covered since they are what is required to earn your West Virginia real estate license.
Earning Your West Virginia Real Estate License Online
When compared to other states, getting a West Virginia real estate license is actually fairly easy. Those 90 hours of classroom education are half what is required in some states like Texas, and as such West Virginia is considered one of the easier states to enter the field in – at least in terms of meeting licensure requirements.
But for those who are working a full-time job or who have family responsibilities, fitting 90 hours of education into your life isn’t something that is simple to do. That’s where online courses come in. It’s possible to complete courses over the internet, essentially earning your West Virginia real estate license online.
To do so, you just have to enroll in online real estate courses. These programs offer the same type of education you would receive in a classroom setting, delivered entirely online. Consider the basics of an online program to see why so many others are earning their West Virginia real estate license over the internet:
- You’re emailed assignments, lessons, and study materials. You’ll be given deadlines for those assignments, and as long as you complete them by the deadline you will receive credit.
- There is no need to worry about heading to a school or classroom – you do your schoolwork when it works best for you.
- You do your work at your pace. If you understand something instantly, there’s no waiting for the rest of the class to catch up. Conversely, if you need more time with a subject, you can take it. As long as you finish your work by the deadline, you can move at the speed you want to move at.
- Online chat rooms and message boards are set up for students to interact with one another and provide a more traditional classroom feel.
- Once the coursework is completed, you register for the next real estate license exam. Upon passing, you’ll be able to pay the fee and get your license.
Since you’re doing your coursework in your own home, you’ll be able to fit your education into your schedule – no matter what that may be. You can go to school whenever it works for you, and eliminate the need to drive to and from the classroom as well. This can actually save you money in the long run when you factor in commute and food costs.
The one drawback is that for those who lack full motivation, it can sometimes be difficult to stay focused on your schoolwork. You’re at home, after all, and plenty of distractions exist there. But if you are driven and highly motivated to succeed, you should be able to stay on course and get your education for your West Virginia real estate license.
Today’s online programs are highly respected and offer the best education you can receive. Technology has reached the point where online programs are just as well-regarded as traditional classroom-based programs, and it’s possible to receive your West Virginia real estate license by taking those online courses.