California is known for quality educational platforms in the US. Every year, thousands of students come to the state to explore various fields of study and enroll in what may lead to a promising career.
One specific area of discipline that has grasped the attention of modern minds is Real Estate. San Jose, California, is home to some of the best real estate schools.
Is Real Estate Education Worth It?
Obtaining a license will label you as a professional but opens doors to opportunities only the qualified gain access to. Time, money, and effort go into learning about the real estate field, but it’s all well worth it for the perks that follow.
Benefits Of Acquiring A Real Estate License
You will acquire a license only after taking coursework, exams, and going through background checks. All these endeavors will give you leverage over unlicensed competitors. Here are some of the advantages:
Access To MLS
As a licensed real estate investor, you’ll have access to multiple listing services (MLS), which is the best source for finding the latest and best properties for investment. Other essential information such as historical data, sales prices, property comparison, and more will be a click away.
Even if you don’t choose real estate as a career, it will be a business perspective that can supplement your current income. Whether you close a deal via an agent or do it yourself, you’ll make good enough commissions to save for that luxury vacation or rainy days.
With a real estate license, you will get invited to industry-related events, which is a great chance to meet actual professionals and not just hobbyists and expand your network. Contacts may share their expertise and experiences and even introduce you to surveyors, lenders, and appraisers.
People are more likely to trust a licensed real estate agent over someone who follows instinct. This creates a rapport between the agent and clients as they’re sure who they’re dealing with knows what he/she is doing and understands the clients’ requirements.
Real Estate License Requirements In California
Obtaining a real estate license in California is a systematic process where every step is crucial. Candidates must be 18 years of age or older, complete 135 hours of pre-licensing coursework comprising three main subjects, Real Estate Principles, Real Estate Practices, and Real Estate Finance. You’ll also need to find and work for a CA licensed real estate broker.
Then you must submit an application for the California Salesperson Exam and apply for a license, which consists of fingerprint verification and a background check. You’ll be eligible for the license after successfully passing the exam.
It generally takes between five to six months for the process to complete. Moreover, it depends on fulfilling coursework, finding a broker, and the licensing exam and application.
The California real estate license is subject to a $60 exam fee and $245 licensing fee, whereas the coursework fee depends on the institution the candidate chooses to attempt.
Is An Online Real Estate School In San Jose, California Better Than A Traditional Classroom?
Many factors affect your decision of whether you want to study online or in-person. We’ve listed the pros and cons of both, and based on the comparison, we think online learning is the ideal choice.
The Merits Of Online Learning
- It offers convenience. You can access courses anytime, anywhere, and study in the comfort of your home. All you need is a steady internet connection and laptop, or tab, etc. A flexible schedule lets you study at your own pace. No worries about traveling to the class location, handle books and follow a strict timetable.
- It’s expensive. Online learning costs way less than classroom learning. Course materials are embedded into audio and video files and don’t require special equipment for access.
- It saves time and money. You won’t have to take time off work and saves transportation costs, snacks, and babysitting. Additionally, you’ll save money on supplies such as books, pens, notebooks, etc.
Online Learning Drawbacks
- Lack of determination. While setting your learning hours is a great benefit, it can also be challenging to pay proper attention as a distraction is easy.
- No Social Interaction. Online learning refrains students from engaging with peers and instructors, making it harder to get in touch if you have course-related queries.
Merits of Classroom Learning
- In-Person Learning. Meeting peers and instructors in person gives you a chance to discuss course material and get answers to queries. You can also ask your instructor to share their experience, tips, and guidance.
- Fixed Schedule. If you want to study in a traditional setting, then a classroom learning environment is better. Each class runs between 4 to 8 hours sessions.
Classroom Learning Drawbacks
- Expensive compared to online learning. Despite the hefty tuition fees, you’ll have to pay for transportation, books, and other materials to supplement the course.
- Inflexible Setup. You’re bound to attend whenever a class is scheduled and have no freedom of choosing your study timings. It is more difficult to manage if you’re already working.
Reviews Of The 6 Best Online Real Estate Schools In San Jose, California
With an abundance of online schools, it can become tiresome to look up the right choice.
That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you and picked out the best online real estate schools in San Jose, California, based on aspects of affordability, state approval, student support, post-licensing classes, and decent pass rates.
Colibri Real Estate tops our list due to its versatile, cost-efficient course offering, and support. You can choose from four packages, each meant for different levels.
All packages sum up to 135 hours, with 45 hours for the California pre-license, courses included. The basic course covers everything required to build the foundation, whereas the ultimate learning package offers a 1-year professional development membership, Q&A sessions with the instructor, and a printed textbook. All packages include expert support from experienced instructors.
Colibri Real Estate has an above 70% student pass rate, which is 20% more than the industry average. Except for the basic package, other courses come with a Pass or Don’t Pay guarantee. If you don’t pass the test on the first try, they’ll refund your money. Check out the full Colibri Real Estate Review here.
Colibri Real Estate Video Review
Aceable agent uses technology to its full potential. The California real estate license course is taught via PDF documents which students can access from any device or print for offline studying. Through interactive workshops, Aceable provides its students the opportunity to get hands-on experience to deal with a variety of real estate contracts.
Aceable has one of the best support systems, as students can get in touch with the support staff through email, chat, phone, and various social media platforms. With a 90% pass rate in Texas, Aceable is ready to issue refunds if students do not pass the test within three tries. Check out the full AceableAgent review here.
AceableAgent Video Review
Over 70 years of teaching experience and a roster of experienced real estate instructors are only a few of the many qualities CA Realty Training brings to the table.
Thanks to how long they’ve been in the real estate education industry, CA Realty Training has built many close relationships with real estate firms in California.
This means that every student who completes their real estate training here can take advantage of these connections and land themselves a position inside some of San Jose, California’s best firms!
What’s more, you can choose your learning style! You can go for Live training + online, online + videos, or online only.
And the quality of training you receive will help you ace the licensing exam. Not only that, but it also teaches you the tricks of the trade, setting you up for success in your career.
Now, your school’s “name” is not as important as you may think. But why not go with the school that has both high-quality training and a reputation for producing top-earning realtors in San Jose, California?
So if you are looking for a school that has a track record of providing excellent real estate training and connections to established firms, you can kick-start your real estate career in CA Realty Training.
Allied has existed for over 25 years and is one of the most reputable online real estate schools in California. The program consists of three packages, with the fast track as the basic one. Upgrade to other premium packages gets students to access exam-cram videos, digital flashcards, and printed textbooks.
Allied has a low pass rate in comparison to other online real estate schools, but students receive a 110% refund guarantee if they can’t pass the test on the first try (excludes basic package).
5. The CE Shop
The CE Shop gives real meaning to education on the go. The offered courses are smartphone-friendly and work on other devices as well. The courses comprise interactive training modes through which students get to understand real-world scenarios in the real estate industry.
Students get access to downloadable course materials and expert instructor support.
The CE shop proudly highlights a 91% pass rate on their website and provides a pass guarantee, starting from the standard to the premium package.
The CE Shop Video Review
Kaplan is one of the most renowned education companies worldwide and has maintained that reputation over the years. Courses at Kaplan are a bit expensive compared to other online real estate schools in California, but the quality of education is excellent. Kaplan’s instructors are respectable publishers and real estate agents.
Brightwood Real Estate Education under Kaplan provides access to virtual study groups even in the basic package. The premium packages grant access to video lessons and virtual classes.
With a student pass rate of 80%, Kaplan is a wise choice for those who can afford it.
Kaplan Video Review
What To Look For In A Good Real Estate Online School
The schools mentioned above are the best online real estate schools in San Jose, California, but if you want to keep your options open, here are a few tips to find a reputable online institution.
- Confirm if the school is recognized by the state’s real estate division. The official real estate department website will probably have a list of approved online schools.
- Make sure the school is accredited by a qualified accreditation organization.
- Research history, how long the school is in business, and whether learning methods accommodate modern standards.
- Compare prices and payment plans and choose the school that doesn’t lead you to financial problems.
- Talk to an administrator and ask about student and technical support.
- Check the number of students enrolled and read reviews.
How To Find A Good Classroom-Based Real Estate School In San Jose, California
We understand that online learning isn’t for everyone, and some individuals may still prefer traditional teaching methods. Here’s how to find a suitable classroom-based real estate school.
- Ask friends, peers, and family for advice, especially those with a real estate license.
- Ask for advice from licensed real estate agents and brokers since they’ve also been through the process and can guide you better.
- Conduct research on school learning methodology and curriculum. Is the school teaching based on recent findings and incorporates modern learning techniques?
- Make sure the school coursework is following the state requirements for real estate licensing.
- See if the school offers continuing education courses (CE) or real estate agent pre-licensing education, as it will save you a lot more time.
- Check for the student pass rate and reviews.
- Find out about the student support team. There should be ample guidance available in case you run into an issue with coursework or other problems.
Classroom location varies
Real Estate and Loan School is located in San Jose, but their exact classroom locations do change around so you’ll need to contact them directly for the current classroom location. This real estate school can be completed in as little as a 2.5 weeks and as long as 20 weeks depending on the intensity of the course you sign up with. This is a great local option.
180 Great Oaks Blvd
San Jose, CA 95119
CA Realty Training is one of the largest real estate schools in San Jose. They offer live in-person training as well as many options for learning at home. Many of their hybrid courses offer a good mix of both online and classroom time, giving you great flexibility and limiting your commute to a classroom multiple times weekly. You can go through independent learning from home, while also getting access to a live instructor to help you along.
1825 Winchester Blvd
Campbell, CA 95008
Chamberlin Real Estate School is located in nearby Campbell. Please note, Chamberlin Real Estate School is not currently offering in-person classroom real estate training. However, if you are looking for an online real estate school that is also based in the local area, Chamberlin Real Estate school is a good option to consider. They offer both pre-licensing as well as post-licensing and brokerage courses for the entire state of California.
4075 Evergreen Village Square #140
San Jose, CA 95135
Devlin Real Estate School is probably the most popular real estate school in San Jose offering live in-person classroom courses. They have programs for both California pre-license education as well as post-license and real estate broker courses. Devlin Real Estate School also has online course options and a mixture of the two, so you get a great local school with the best of both online and classroom training. They keep an updated schedule of courses on their website.
1885 Lundy Avenue Ste 210
San Jose CA 95131
Quick Learning School has a few locations in California, but their main location is located right here in San Jose. This real estate school offers part-time classroom options so you can attend in-person classes on nights and weekends. Quick Learning School is known to have some of the best real estate license training instructors in the area, making this one of the best real estate schools to consider in the San Jose area.
Once you acquire the license, a career in Real Estate is exciting if you’re someone who likes to live in a fast-paced environment, likes meeting people and networking, and takes pride in helping people find the house of their dreams.